Tuesday, March 12, 2013

What can happen in a second?

If you are anything like me, then you obviously are familiar with the three most popular things that are expected to happen in a second. You will commiserate with me in remembering being told to "just wait a second." You could enthrall me with a dramatic re-enactment of a time you were beseeched to "hang on a second." And, I'm positive you recall that time when that crazy clerk promised "give me a second and I'll have that ready for you." These instances would seem to point to the idea that the most common things that happen within one single second are 1. The Wait, 2. The Hang, and 3. The Give.
In my personal opinion, however, I find that The Wait, The Hang and The Give actually require many more seconds than just the one in question at that moment. It seems that one teeny, tiny, minuscule second is too insignificant an amount for anything mountainous to occur. However, it is WITHIN all of The Wait, The Hang and The Give that one second finds its purpose and stands out strong and tall and away from the rest. That one single second might hold:
A mouse click
A glass shatter
A twig break
A rain patter
A tire pops
A toenail flies
A rooster crows
A truth in lies
A car crash
A carrot crunch
A baby's smile
A lizard's lunch
A pencil snap
A long-lost shoe
A timer ding
A girl's "I do"

In the middle of all The Wait, The Hang and The Give are these tiny moments that become paramount. They could never happen if all the other seconds around them did not set them up, support them on either side. But, it is these seconds that stand out above the rest and it is for them that we put up with all the wait-hang-give. So, just keep waiting and hanging on for a second to bring a gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment